Play Therapy Continuing Education
Play therapy continuing education allows professional therapists the chance to practice innovative and exciting therapy techniques to use during play therapy sessions. These play therapy continuing education opportunities, often offered through the use of workshops, conferences, retreats, and other training events, allow mental health professionals the chance to begin or continue the path to becoming a registered play therapist.
A registered play therapist works with children and their primary caregivers to research, assess, and treat developmental issues. A play therapist might work with children who exhibit any of the following challenges: anger issues, grief and loss, divorce and/or family stress, anxiety and depression, developmental delays, other learning or attention problems, such as ADHD, episodes of sadness, anxiety, or depression, social withdrawal or isolation, other social challenges, such as being the victim of bullying or bullying other children, decreased interest in previously enjoyed activities, changes in appetite, sleep, or mood swings, overly aggressive behavior, and separation, divorce, or relocation.
One of the exciting play therapy continuing education opportunities, offered by the team at Academy for Play Therapy Training, Inc. is the 2018 play therapy retreat! A mental health professional (following the guidelines below) can earn 20 continuing education credits by attending this retreat in May 2018. (This Intensive Play Therapy Experiential Retreat is approved for MFT’s, LPC’s, LCSW’s, LEP’s and licensed mental health professionals.) The retreat will explore utilizing play therapy with multiple populations. This will include children, teens, individuals, couples and families. The retreat also incorporates a growth experience of self-care and relaxation for all who participate. You will be pampered in many aspects throughout this experience.
This is an exciting play therapy training opportunity, because it is a chance to temporarily leave behind the usual distractions of life for a time long enough to foster inner change. Of course, this is taking place while immersing daily in play therapy activities and learning! A retreat refreshes, revitalizes and gives the opportunity for contemplation. Specifically, our retreat schedule allows some free time to create your own experience with the variety of opportunities located onsite at the event location; hiking nearby on beautiful trails, meditation labyrinth, a relaxing soak in the sun, or simply reading or journaling outside in a chair overlooking the stunning property.
After the play therapy retreat, as offered by Academy for Play Therapy Training, Inc. participants will be able to…
– Complete the ProQol assessment tool for the assessment of psychotherapist burnout and compassion fatigue and assess clinician’s level of wellness.
– Define Compassion Satisfaction, Compassion Fatigue and Burnout.
– Identify and apply 3 expressive play therapy and/or art-based interventions for the prevention and treatment of psychotherapist burnout and compassion fatigue.
– Examine and investigate 5 developmental stages of play in children and teens to use in their play therapy practice.
– Examine and utilize 3 play therapy interventions that enhance understanding of brain functions and play therapy for people of all ages.
– Describe and apply three self- assessment interventions that explore play therapists’ goals and
development as a play therapist.
– List and explain 3 developmental considerations for play therapists to use in Sandtray Therapy.
– Explain and demonstrate 2 strategies that play therapists can use in witnessing, processing and drawing out the story of the sandtray.
– Create and demonstrate 3 play therapy or art based interventions to apply to your clinical practice.
– Create and demonstrate at least one play therapy and/or expressive therapy intervention.
If you are interested in this play therapy retreat, please review our website here. If you are interested in any of our numerous play therapy continuing education credits, please contact the Academy for Play Therapy Training team at (925) 626-0084. Located in the San Francisco Bay Area, we are an approved provider for the California Board of Behavioral Sciences, the Association for Play Therapy, and the American Psychological Association. We are approved to provide play therapy continuing education units to MFT’s, LCSW’s, LPCC’s,and Psychologists. (APT Approved Provider 09-2411 CEs for Marriage & Family Therapists, Licensed Social Workers, Professional Counselors and Psychologists offered through Sierra Institute for Contemporary Gestalt Therapy BBS provider 349 and approved by APA AND Association for Play Therapy -APT Approved Provider 09-241.) We provide these CEs through play therapy training events, such as our play therapy training 2018, play therapy conferences, and specified play therapy continuing education workshops. We look forward to hearing from you soon!